Wednesday 26 October 2016

A barbeque at the Meadows' stable

Hi all, I'm back with a new story. I'm not even going to apologise for my absence or make excuses for it. Just life! And I have realise no matter how busy I get I will always come back to my Sylvanians!
****************************************************************

It was a normal Saturday morning in the Meadows household. Maisie was washing the breakfast dishes, Jack was packing his wagon for the morning deliveries and the babies quietly played on the see-saw.

"Oh Jack, I'm so bored, can't we have an informal dinner party tonight, something like a barbeque?" Maisie sighed. Jack was taken aback by his wife's suggestion. She was usually the one who preferred a quiet night in.

"I'm sure that can be arranged, but are you sure? And who would you like to invite?" Jack replied. "Well, I really miss Heidi, so definitely the Mcburrows and what about the Chestnut family?" Maisie suggested. "Seriously? Pansy? I thought you didn't like her?" Jack said surprisingly. "Maybe she just has a hard time fitting in, I would like to get to know her?' Maisie smiled.

With promises of extending the invitation to the two families, Jack left on his mourning route, still surprised by Maisie's new lust for life and parties.

Meanwhile a few kilometers away, the Chestnut family were spending their Saturday morning a bit differently. They decided to have a breakfast picnic to the delight of the little ones. "Durwood, I think it is time to move on?" Pansy suddenly broke the silence. "Move on, what you mean move on? Like leave Sugarbush?" Durwood couldn't hide his surprise. 

"Yes, that is exactly what I mean, we are struggling to fit in, here is never enough jobs for you and I'm ready for a new adventure?" Pansy explained. "But Flower, I thought we decided on settling here, you know, for the kids sake?" Durwood hit back. "Oh the kids will adapt, and we are born nomads, aren't we?" It was obvious that Pansy had made up her mind, and not in the mood for a fight, Durwood packed up the picnic stuff and suggested that they leave, as it was getting to hot.  

To their surprise they ran into Jack Meadows. "Good morning, Pansy, Durwood? Enjoying some fresh air?" Jack greeted. Durwood always liked Jack and quickly replied before Pansy could say something sarcastic. "Yes, it was such a lovely morning. How are you, Jack? Durwood asked. "I'm mighty fine, and I was just on may way to your stand. Maisie and I would like to invite you over for dinner tonight? Will you come? I've already invited the Mcburrows too." Jack inquired.

Durwood excitedly accept the invitation and after a time was set, Jack went on his way to make the final few deliveries. "Isn't that fantastic, Pansy? I'm really looking forward to this!" Durwood exclaimed. "I don't understand your excitement, it is just dinner and why after all this time only invite us now?" Pansy sourly replied and cycled off. Durwood couldn't help  but roll his eyes at his wife.

Jack was surprised to also meet Mrs Bramble, along the way, but then he realised that she was also 'living' on the campsite. "Good morning, Mrs Bramble." Jack greeted friendly. "It is actually Ms Bramble, but I much more prefer Livvy." The hedgehog replied smiling.

"I'm sorry, Livvy, can I make my inconsideration up to you by inviting you to dinner tonight, we are having a few people over, and it will be good to have you there as well." Jack hastily replied. Livvy was truly surprised by the invitation, but as she desperately wanted to make more friends, she gladly accepted.

With a song in his heart Jack returned home. He was kind of looking forward to the gathering. On his arrival he was extremely surprised with what he found.

"Maisie!" Jack exclaimed, "You must be exhausted? Everything is already set up for tonight!" Maisie smiled, "Well I had the time, and now we can spend the afternoon relaxing before the guests arrive."

After a relaxing afternoon, it was time for the guests to arrive. The Mcburrows arrived first, and Maisie was grateful, as this meant a few alone minutes with her best friend.

They greeted each other excitedly and the chatter immediately begin.

While the two friends settled in for a quick chat, the men decided it is saver to move away.

After some time Livvy Bramble also arrived. Maisie was glad that Jack had the idea to invite her and true to herself Maisie greeted her with open arms and a wide smile, "Livvy, I'm so glad you came, you will have a good time with us!" Livvy smiled shyly, "Thank you Maisie, I know I will."

Heidi and Livvy also quickly became acquainted, and the two friends listen in awe about all the weird turns Livvy's life had made.

Just then Durwood and his family arrived as well, Maisie took a deep breath and promised herself to like Pansy. 

"Durwood, Pansy! Welcome, I'm so glad you are here!" Maisie smiled. "Thank you for inviting us." Pansy smiled. And it was then that Maisie knew she was right about Pansy!

True to their nature, the men gathered around the barbeque fire, beer in hand...

... while the women chattered like little birds around the dining table.

Little Molly enjoyed herself immensely, as she had five little learners in her nursery school, and to her surprise her little brother Monty was still the naughtiest baby.

"So Pansy, still enjoying Sugarbush?" Maisie asked. True to her nature, Pansy's answer was very honest, "Sometimes, but some of the villagers are quite snobbish and I don't think they like me very much." Maisie smiled sincerely, "I get what you mean, but believe me there is only one snob in Sugarbush, and that is Hatty, and let me ad to that, that even though she is one, she is also the one you should least allow to upset you." Pansy smiled understandably, "Yes, you are right she is actually the only one."

Incidentally Jack asked Durwood the same question. "Yes, we are. Pansy sometime struggle to make friends, but frankly that is just her personality, people don't always get her. But I think we will stay." Durwood replied.

Soon the food was ready, and while the women and children sat at the table, the men gathered around the fire and ate with their hands.

It was getting late, and the babies quickly settled in for the night. Luckily it went without tantrums.

Maisie quickly served coffee to everyone. "Wow Maisie you have the sweetest obeying babies!" Pansy remarked. "Thank you, Pansy. Yes, I'm quite lucky, but it is not always easy, I think they are just exhausted." Maisie explained.

Jack and his friends declined the coffee and had a last beer. "Thanks for the nice barbeque Jack!" Durwood said thankfully. "It is our pleasure, maybe we can next time have it at your stand?" Jack suggested.

And just like that a wonderful evening came to an end, the guests thanked the hosts for a relaxing evening and Jack and Maisie bide their guests a safe walk back. 

"What a lovely evening! I'm so glad we did this! And Pansy is actually very nice, just misunderstood." Maisie explained.

The Chestnuts walked in silence, both wanting to speak, but neither having the courage...

"Maybe it is not a bad idea to stay afterall!" they both said together.

15 comments:

  1. Such a cute little story. I am very pleased that Pansy has found some new friends and have decided to stay in Sugarbrush Valley!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story! As always, it is a pleasure to read about your villagers, their personalities & interactions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best and like to get these kinds of comments, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Loved it!!! Pansy has a good heart but needs some encouragement! You used some of my favorites critters in this story! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really!!! Then Im glad if you loved the story and your favorite critters featured!

      Delete
  4. You've real talent for telling stories to give us some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I´m glad Pansy changed her mind about leaving SBV. I always thought she was a bit grumpy and not too friendly but I believe she is just a bit shy and is not that easy for her to make friends.The Meadows are a lovely family and the babies are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Pansy decided to open up a bit too. She has given Hatty a bit of a run for her money ;-)

      Delete
  6. Oh my! What a wonderful surprise to detect, when I just finally(!!!) got internet! Fantastic, cute story:) I loved the pics of the men drinking beer :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im so glad you could finally read it and that you liked it. That beer drinking pics was especially for you!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely story--and very realistic too! I'm glad they decided to stay at Sugarbush! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute little story :) I like Maisies efforts to see beyond first impressions.

    ReplyDelete